Steps from Glencoe:
Troubleshooting How to View McGraw Hill/Glencoe Textbooks on a Mac Computer
Although most of the computers and laptops used in the Mountain Brook School system are Windows machines, we realize that some of our families use Mac computers at home. The textbook company Glencoe does not support the use of a Mac computer when viewing the online textbook without a small amount of “tweaking.” For your convenience, we have compiled the following suggestions for Mac users based on information from Glencoe and a group of home users that have been gracious enough to share their tips for success. Since this is a third party plug-in and we are unfamiliar with all of the variations of Macs that students may be using, we cannot support, take responsible for nor guarantee the success of these support tips. Mac users have reported success viewing the online student textbook edition on a Mac using Firefox instead of Safari.
STEP 1- Quit all running applications including, and especially, Safari
- Go to Hard Drive
- Go to Applications
- Go to Adobe Reader (If you do not have Adobe Reader, click here to download.)
- Launch Adobe Reader
- Go to bolded Adobe Reader menu (may be Reader or Adobe or both)
- Choose “Preferences”
- Choose “Internet”
- Uncheck “View PDF in Browser” or something similar/ Click OK.
- Quit Adobe Reader.
STEP 2- Make sure Safari is running in 32 bit mode
(If you get a black screen, chances are you are not running Safari in what is called 32 bit mode, or Rosetta. If you get the black screen try the directions below. Otherwise go to STEP 3.)
Running Safari in a mode other than 32 bit, will result in a black screen.
- Go to Applications
- Highlight Safari
- Press Command I
- Confirm information states "Open in 32 bit mode."
STEP 3- Download Schubert 2.3.2 Plug-in (Firefox or Safari)
2. Download and install PDF Browser Plug-in 2.3.2.
3. Try to login to the student textbook through Safari, or Firefox. The first time the student textbook is accessed, a screen will request the purchase of a PDF browser plug-in 2 license. Select "Educational Use Only" and then OK. This will allow the program to run without purchasing a license. Since this software is for viewing the online textbook, you are not required to purchase a license.