(Effective November 4, 2013)
Please read the requirements to ensure that your substitute application is processed in the most efficient manner.
1. Substitute Teacher Application (on our website under Personnel)
2. Support Substitute Application (for EDP, CNP, Bus Drivers, Custodians, Aides and Clerical)
3. Current Resume
4. Three (3) Letters of Reference
5. Proof of Education: Diploma or transcripts from High School or College or GED Diploma
6. Alabama Teacher Certificate or Alabama Substitute Teacher License *(for substitute teachers only)
7. Proof of Background clearance from the Alabama State Department of Education
You will need to bring the following documents to the Central Office,
once you have been approved by the Board of Education.
1. I-9, Immigration & Naturalization Service
4. Department of Labor New Hire Form
5. Direct Deposit Form
6. Voided Check
7. Social Security Card – color copy
8. Driver’s License – color copy
If you do not have a valid Alabama Teacher Certificate or Alabama Substitute License, we can apply for the Substitute License for you. There is a $30 fee for the Substitute License. The State Department offers on-line payment for a Substitute License using MasterCard or Visa which is an additional $4 fee. Please go to the website www.alabamainteractive.org/education/ for the on-line substitute license payment. It is essential that you print a copy of the receipt of your on-line payment and we will send it in with your application. If you choose not to pay on-line you will need a $30 money order or cashier’s check made payable to the Alabama State Department of Education. Because of expiration dates and depreciation of most money orders, please only use money orders issued by the United State Post Office.
Fingerprint clearance must be obtained by the Alabama State Department of Education through Cogent Systems, Inc. You may go to their website at www.cogentid.com/AL or call 1-866-989-9316 to register and pay for fingerprinting and obtain information about fingerprint locations. The fee for fingerprinting is $51.40. When you have completed all requirements be sure to print out your registration confirmation to take with you to the fingerprint location and to include with your application packet. You cannot substitute until the background check has been completed by the State Department.