Mountain Brook Schools APPPosted by Joani Kay on 9/30/2019
MOUNTAIN BROOK SCHOOLS APP
Mountain Brook School district, along with each of our schools, constantly works to enhance communication with staff, students, and parents. The MBS APP became available to parents, faculty and staff, and students in the spring of 2017.
You may have already downloaded this app on your cell phone. If not we hope the information below is helpful. The following information includes instructions for download as well as highlights some of the icons available with the app.
Users can download the app for Apple or Google based on your mobile device by searching for MBS Schools (in the Apple App Store) or Mountain Brook Schools (in Google Play).
Once the app has been downloaded, users have the opportunity to configure the app to ensure relevant information is received and a cell number for SMS/Text messages is entered.
To experience the full benefits of the app, users should log into the app using their MBS network username and password. This is the same information you currently use to access the MBS Portal (ClassLink).
Calendar icon – if it is blank, click the gear in the upper right corner and select the calendars you would like to view.
Directory icon – provides information for the Board of Education and each school. You will notice Staff and Teacher links are available which includes schedules.
Click the ClassLink icon. If you do not already have this on your cell phone you will be ask to download. ClassLink icon provides quick access to the MBS Portal including Canvas, Chalkable and more. There will be a onetime sign-in using your MBS network username and password. The Chalkable icon inside the ClassLink will require your Chalkable username and the password you have setup.
Student Info icon – Log in using your MBS network username and password. This area provides access to posted 9-weeks grades and more.
If you would like to receive text message alerts, click the Student Info icon, Click Your Name icon. Click Edit in the upper right corner of Account Info. Then click Add New to add your cell phone number to the TEXT/SMS NUMBERS --just type the numbers, no dashes, starting with area code. A “Delivery Preferences” window appears. Just click Done
Other MBS App icons include Activity Stream, Notifications, News, Child Nutrition Payments, Lunch Menus and more.
Canvas NotificationsPosted by Joani Kay on 9/28/2019
CANVAS Setting Notifications
CANVAS is the learning management system adopted by Mountain Brooks Schools for students in grades 6-12. Students should have a course tile for each of their courses listed in Chalkable. As an observer, parents should also see a course tile for each course. If you do not see a tile, please contact the classroom teacher to make sure they have clicked “publish” on their course.
As a teacher adds an assignment, announcement, etc. in Canvas, email notifications are sent to students and sometimes parents receive notifications. If you would like to stop receiving notifications or decide how often you receive them, please complete the following steps. This is at your account level so it works on all courses.
Each user in Canvas has the ability to set their own notifications.
To change you notifiction follow these simple steps:
- Access the MBS Portal ClassLink and log in with your network username and password
- Click the Canvas icon once you access ClassLink
- On the left navigation bar, click Account and Notifications
- Notice the legend under Notification Preferences
- Select how often you want to receive notifications for each option
- Notice there is an option Do not send me anything
Common Sense MediaPosted by Joani Kay on 9/27/2019
Common Sense is the leading independent nonprofit organization dedicated to helping kids thrive in a world of media and technology. They strive to empower parents, teachers, and policymakers by providing unbiased information, trusted advice, and innovative tools to help with the power of media and technology as a positive force in students' lives. MBS is a Common Sense Media school district.
Take a look at their information under
- Advice for Parents
- Movies and TV Shows
- Apps, Games, and Websites
- Research Section which includes Social Media, Social life: Teens Reveal Their Experiences, and more.
The Three C'sPosted by Joani Kay on 10/10/2018
The 3 C’s (ClassLink, Canvas, and Chalkable)
We have several important resources and we would like to highlight the following:
- ClassLink is the MBS Portal. Parents and guardians may access using their MBS network username which is the same as their Chalkable username.
- Canvas is the learning management system for students in grades 5-12. Click the Canvas icon inside ClassLink and you should see a class tile for courses your student is enrolled in. The Calendar is designed to merge all assignments into one location. If you are missing a classroom tile please contact the teacher.
- Chalkable is our attendance and grading software. Click the link inside ClassLink for Chalkable. Enter your Chalkable username and the password you have setup. Parents and students have their own unique username and password.
- MBHS students may stop by the library for assistance.
- MBHS parents should email Joani Kay, MBHS Technology Coordinator, for assistance.