FOR PARENTS WITH CHLIDREN WORRIED OR UPSET ABOUT COVID AND RESULTING CHANGES
The American School Counselor Association (ASCA) has a list of resources including some very good articles about how to talk with your child about the coronavirus. Please click the link below to find these articles and resources. Please remember to consider that the resource may be approriate for all student age groups, not just young children. Some good general guidelines about anxiety over current events that may be frightening are below:
- Remember that children watch us and learn how to cope and manage reactions to things based on how they see adults react. You are your child's best model.
- Answer questions your child asks honestly, but simply. Children worry more when they are not told anything and know something is going on. Avoid giving too many details and let their questions guide your answers.
- Scary events are usually out of our control, so finding ways to give control back can be helpful. Talk about ways to prevent contraction and spreadof illness or ways to stay safe.
- Get the facts. Make sure you get information from credible resources like the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, not social media posts about what someone heard.
- Avoid getting wrapped up in what you hear about the virus and help your child keep fiction from fact.
- Avoid letting children watch news reports as they are often presented in a dramatic manner and news often contains frightening events.
- Maintain as much normal activity as possible. Children with worry and anxiety need safe breaks from these worries and doing normal routines helps to give a safe break.
COVID-19 Specific Support Resources for Parent Use:
- Helping Children Cope with Changes Due to COVID - NASP Article
- Helping Kids Think About the Good (During Safer at Home - 20 minute podcast) - https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/podcasts/item/abdi_nazemian_helping_kids_think_about_the_good_gratitude
- Developing GRATITUDE in your kids (short 2 minute video, a faster explanation of the exercise discussed in the podcast above)- https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/video/item/talk_with_kids_gratitude
- Julia Cook’s The Yucky Bug Read Aloud - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD9KNhmOCV4&fbclid=IwAR03-84rpiAKiUCNNsYYkNbNhRiYIeEtrtMPdIOOVNqC5eimejfE13rhRjY
- Julia Cook’s Tips on Discussing - https://www.juliacookonline.com/assets/uploads/2020/03/Yucky-Bug.pdf
- Daniel Tiger’s Video and Info on COVID19 - https://www.pbs.org/parents/thrive/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR23-obC3zUHLqr38U9imp57NImlz5fJf2XN-R4a2KnEI9MKODQeuQgGYb0
- Counselor Keri https://www.counselorkeri.com/2020/03/14/talk-to-kids-about-coronavirus/ Youtube video version