General SEL Learning and Activities
For Preschool - Seasame Street and the Committee for Children.
For Mindfulness Lessons, Mind Yeti provides kids with fun ways of learning to be mindful of their situation and surroundings. Click here for the Mind Yeti library of video exercises on mindfulness.
For Parents and Kids, Imagine Neighborhood is a podcast designed to help children and their grown ups grow their social-emotional skills through very amazing and fantastical stories.
Second Step has released 3 lessons per grade that are great foundational lessons you can watch at home. Click the link below for your grade level.
For Bullying Prevention and Being an Upstander, click on Captain Compassion to read comics, see videos and find fun activities about these topic with a superhero theme.
Camp Timber offers several video lessons on great social and emotional learning for K-5th grades. Most are animations, with a few that are actors.
Kidwick Books by Eric Drachman: These Eric Drachman books teach great lessons on several values and positive characteristics, but should be discussed with young children. They are available in print and have been produced as read alouds that have multiple voices and sound effects that help with comprehension all available at http://www.kidwick.com/books.html and if you enjoy them, they offer apps under the "extras" tab as well.
- Bad Rats shows the importance and value of creativity: http://www.kidwick.com/books_rats.html
- A Frog Thing shows the struggle of a young frog finding his place: http://www.kidwick.com/flash/afrog_demo/frog_high.html
- Ellison the Elephant demonstrates the value of being unusual: http://www.kidwick.com/flash/ellison_demo/ellison_high.html
- It's Me! illustrates the child "trying on" roles of others in her life and finding herself (development of self-identity): http://www.kidwick.com/flash/itsme_demo/itsme_high.html
- Leo the Lightning Bug shows the importance of perseverance: http://www.kidwick.com/extras_as_leo.html
We Do Listen Foundation/Howard B. Wigglebottom Books - https://wedolisten.org/ - We do listen foundation is a great website with Howard B. Wigglebottom books. The books can be found at the local library, but this website has the books on video, a song for each story and a fun little quiz kids can follow along to.
Sounds True, a publisher with lots of adult books, also has a collection of children's books they have recently offered over youtube for free. Parents may need to click on these for you on their device.
- Happy Right Now, by Julie Berry which is a story about a child who can find ways to be unhappy with the circumstances of a variety of situations, but also explores how she can make a choice to find the things to be happy about in each situation.
- Breathe With Me, by Mariam Gates. Mariam Gates has written a series of children's books about yoga, but this one focuses on breathing to feel calm, strong, and happy. Breathing is a very important part of yoga, but also a grounding skill that helps a person to work at being mindful of their situation and place.
- Good Morning Yoga, by Mariam Gates leads children through a short morning yoga exercise program.
Books by Julia Cook - The goal behind Cook’s work is to actively involve young people in fun, memorable stories and teach them to become lifelong problem solvers. Inspiration for her books come from working with children and carefully listening to counselors, parents, and teachers, in order to stay on top of needs in the classroom and at home. Julia Cook also has several of her stories read aloud and additional activities through her author facebook page. https://www.juliacookonline.com/buy-books-2019/
Core Essentials - Character Education and Social Emotional Learning focusing on developing the following core values in students: www.coreessentials.org
The Big Idea Experience -partners with schools and core essentials in a research based program to reinforce character education, social emotional learning and The Big 3: Treat Others Right, Make Smart Decisions and Maximize Your Potential - www.thebigideaexperience.com
- Free online games
- Online videos
Books/Workbooks by Dr. Dawn Huebner - Dr. Huebner books engage children in the process of learning practical skills they can put to use in every day use. Dr. Huebner is a psychologist, author and parent coaching. https://www.dawnhuebnerphd.com/books-by-dawn/
- Something Bad Happened: A Kid’s Guide to Learning About Events in the News
- Outsmarting Worry: An Older Kid’s Guide to Managing Anxiety
- What do Do when you Worry Too Much: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
- What do Do when your Temper Flares: A Kid’s Guide to Coming Problem with Anger
- What To do When You Dread Your Bed: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Problems with Sleep
- What To Do When Your Brain gets Stuck: nA Kid’s Guide to Overcoming OCD
- What To Do when You Grumble Too Much: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Negativity
- What to Do When Bad Habits Take Hold: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Nail Biting and More
- Sometimes I worry too Much, But Now I know How to Stop
American Girl Book and Movie Series - www.americangirl.com - The American girl doll series/books/movies can be a great resource for social emotional learning as well. The movies focus on building character through strong characters. Their movies and books seek to provide positive role models. Through stories of adventure of past and present, characters seek to exemplify what it means to be a girl of strong character: confident, loyal, courageous and kind.
These are popular books that can serve as an excellent resource or tool for you and your daughter. One of their popular book series is the “smart girl’s guide and addresses several emotional, social and physical maturation topics:
- Friendship Troubles
- Digital World
- Drama, Rumors and Secrets
- Middle School
- The Care of Keeping of You- The Body Book for Girls
American Girl Movies Topic Related:
- Friendship Trouble/Finding Your Voice : Saige Paints the Sky
- Courage/Resilience/Perseverance: McKenna Shoots for the Stars
- Advocating for yourself/Speaking up/Handling Bullies: Chrissa Stands Strong
100 Summer Fun at Home Activities List https://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/summer-fun-list-print-at-home.pdf