Here is a link to the Outside Reading Policy. The process for requesting a review of outside reading material for grades 7-12 are listed below:
Reconsideration of Outside Reading Materials
Occasional objections to instructional materials in a course may occur despite the quality of the selection process. Objections to materials may be expressed by the parent or guardian of a child in the grade or course through the process outlined below. If such an objection occurs, the teacher, department chair, and principal will work with the family to determine an acceptable alternate assignment. If an agreement cannot be reached, the process outlined below will begin:
1. Principal/department chair will explain the selection process and reconsideration procedure to the person expressing concern.
2. The principal/department chair will give the person expressing the concern a copy of the Outside Reading Policy and request that the person submit the form “Request for Formal Review of Outside Reading Materials.”
3. The principal/department chair will inform the superintendent and other appropriate personnel of the concern.
4. Upon receipt of the completed form, the principal/department chair will acknowledge the concern with a letter and will request review of the challenged material by an ad hoc review committee within twenty working days. The review committee will be appointed as needed by the superintendent. The committee will consist of three parents, two teachers, one library media specialist, and one principal. The director of instruction will serve as the non-voting chair of the committee.
5. The challenged material will continue to be a part of the course during the reconsideration process.
6. The committee will take the following steps to review the challenged material:
a. read, view, or listen to the material in its entirety
b. check general acceptance of the material by reading reviews and consulting lists
c. determine the extent to which the material supports the curriculum
d. complete the appropriate form, “Checklist for Outside Reading Committee,” judging the material for its strength and value as a whole and not in part.
7. The recommendation of the review committee will be determined by a majority of the committee voting by secret ballot.
8. The review committee will present a written recommendation to the principal/department chair, who will communicate the committee’s decision to the person expressing the concern, and to the superintendent.
9. If the person expressing the concern wishes to appeal the decision of the Outside Reading Review Committee, a written request should be submitted to the superintendent within 10 working days of notification of the decision by the review committee.
10. The Mountain Brook Board of Education will convene to address the appeal. The Board will review the material, the “Request for Formal Review,” and the recommendation of the review committee. The decision will be determined by a majority of the Board.
11. The superintendent will communicate the Board’s final decision in writing to the person expressing the concern, the principal, and the review committee.
12. The teacher(s) will retain or withdraw the challenged material as recommended by the review committee or, in the case of an appeal, as decided by the Board of Education.