Sword and Shield Students Bring Home Hardware
Wednesday, February 23, 2022 -- The Mountain Brook High School’s ‘Sword & Shield’ students participated in the Alabama Scholastic Press Association's state competition against 16 other Alabama high schools. The staff of only 17 students did very well this year!
The event was put on by the University of Alabama on Friday, February 11th.
MBHS won in the following categories:
Overall Newspaper/News Magazine
- Sword & Shield won "Superior"!!
Newspapers/News Magazine Spread Design (Swept the category)
- 1st place: Molly Midkiff's article "Summer Reading Review"
- 2nd place: Paige Parant's article "Cross Country: 6A State Champs"
- 3rd place: Mary Frances Little's article "Miss Olympian: Julianne Abenoja"
- Honorable Mention: Dylan Siegel & Charles Vaughan's article "Spartan Football: Season Preview"
Newspapers/News Magazine Review Article
- 1st place: Hannah Hitson and Mary Frances Little's article "Filter Coffee Review"
- 3rd place: Molly Midkiff's article "Summer Reading Review"
- Honorable Mention: Brannon Volman's article "Loving the Lunchroom"
Newspapers/News Magazine Feature Article
- 3rd place: Henry Thomson's article "Curriculum Restructure"
- Honorable Mention: Jack Earnhardt's article "John Colvin Takes over as MBHS Quarterback"
Sports Photo (Swept the category)
- 1st place: Grace Vaughn's "Football Tackle"
- 2nd place: Grace Vaughn's "Football Celebration"
- 3rd place: Grace Vaughn's "Colvin Sideline Glance"
- Honorable Mention: Hannah Hitson's "Cheer"
Feature Photo (Swept the category)
- 1st place: Peter Pitman "Choir"
- 2nd place: Peter Pitman "Boy Scout Wreath"
- 3rd place: Hannah Hitson "Ofrenda"
On-site Competition (students work on-the-spot)
- 1st Place - Sports Writing: Jack Earnhardt
- 1st Place - News Writing: Hannah Hitson
- 3rd Place - Feature Writing: Lilly Odom
- 1st Place - Newspaper / News Magazine Design: Molly Midkiff
- 3rd Place - Photography: Grace Vaughn
– submitted by Kyle Cannon, MBHS Journalism teacher –