Battle Named a 2022 Coca-Cola Scholar
Less than 1/4th of 1% of applicants were chosen to receive this extremely competitive award.
Thursday, March 17, 2022 – Jane Grey Battle, a senior at Mountain Brook High School, has been named a 2022 Coca-Cola Scholar. She is one of 150 students nationwide and the only student from the state of Alabama to receive this recognition that comes with a $20,000 scholarship.
She joins the 34th class of scholars who exemplify superior leadership, service and academics and a family of 6,600+ alumni nationwide. Battle is no stranger to the spotlight. Last summer, she was named a member of the USA Debate team and achieved the ranking of top debater in the state of Alabama.
Jane Grey was one of over 68,000 applicants for this Coca-Cola Scholarship and was selected as part of a 3-stage selection process. Less than 1/4th of 1% of applicants were chosen to receive this extremely competitive award. According to the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation website, the Coca-Cola Scholars Program is the largest corporate-sponsored, achievement-based scholarship program in the United States and has provided more than $78 million in scholarships over the course of 34 years.
About Jane Grey Battle:
- Mountain Brook High School senior
- Member of the 2021-22 USA Debate Team (1 of 12 members nationwide)
- Captain of MBHS debate team
- 2018 National Middle School Debate Champion
- 3x champion of the Alabama State Debate Tournament, 4x Alabama District Champion, No. 1 ranked debater in Alabama (National Speech and Debate Association)
- Alabama District Student of the Year and 4x time qualifier to the National Debate Tournament
- Member of the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, National French Honor Society, President of the MBHS chapter of National Debate Honor Society, Academic All-American, AP Scholar with Distinction
- MBHS Wake Forest Book Award for Civic Engagement
- Seal of Biliteracy in French
- President of Heritage Panel Club and Justice Club at MBHS, Member of Interact Club
- Founder of Young Voters for a Better Alabama
- Yale Young Global Scholar
“We are so excited and proud of Jane Grey for being selected as a Coca-Cola Scholar. She exemplifies everything that this honor represents – leadership, service, and academics. Jane Grey is an outstanding student who has had a tremendous impact on Mountain Brook High School during her time here and she represents everything that we believe in.
- Philip Holley, Principal, Mountain Brook High School