October Board of Education Report
Tuesday, October 17, 2023 – The Mountain Brook Schools Board of Education met Monday afternoon at Cherokee Bend Elementary for the district’s monthly board meeting. Below is a rundown of the meeting:
Board members present: Jenifer Kimbrough, Jeffrey Brewer, Nicky Barnes, Anna Comer and Daniel Odrezin
Board Meeting Agenda
The meeting opened by approving minutes from the last board meeting.
- Senator Dan Roberts was recognized for his generous donation to the school system and addressed the board expressing his gratitude for their efforts and the work of the school system.
- Leadership Mountain Brook students were recognized for their ongoing efforts in order to promote and serve the entire community throughout the current school year.
- The 25 National Merit Semifinalist students from Mountain Brook High School were recognized for their significant achievement!
- The 8th grade volleyball team was recognized for winning the 2023 Metro Championship!
- Seven of Mountain Brook Schools’ Certified Academic Language Therapists were recognized for their work and commitment to our students in each school.
Reports to the Board:
Brasfield and Gorrie’s Mike Culwell presented the monthly construction update to board members. Dr. Missy Brooks presented board members with the annual Student Achievement Report followed by the Summer Professional Development Report which cited that MBS faculty/staff recorded nearly 12,000 hours of professional development during the 2023 summer months.
- The board unanimously approved the latest personnel recommendations and unanimously approved miscellaneous items as surplus so that they can be discarded/donated/sold.
- The board appointed Nicky Barnes to serve as the Alabama Association of School Boards delegate
- The following items were tabled for 1 month for community review and input and can be viewed by clicking here:
Policy J-6 Enrollment Eligibility/Enrollment Procedures and Student residence
Policy J-8 Student Transfers
Pre-AP English 1 and 2 (9th and 10th Grades)
Python Coding - Computer Science Elective
ACT Prep Elective
Homecoming - Friday Oct, 20: Parade (2:30 p.m., football vs. Mortimer Jordan at 7:00 p.m.)
Friday, November 10, 2023: Schools and offices will be closed in observance of Veteran’s Day.
The next Board Meeting will take place on Monday, November 13th at 3:30 p.m. at Crestline Elementary.