Classroom GuidanceEach class receives a minimum of 16 units of classroom guidance with the school counselor. The primary purpose of guidance is to introduce students to the skills, attitudes, and knowledge they will need to be safe, be respectful, and be their best this year and for years to come. School counselors focus on three domains - academic, personal/social, and career development. The topics covered in classroom guidance are determined by the Comprehensive Counseling and Guidance Model for Alabama Public Schools (2003) and legislation such as Erin's Law, the Jason Flatt Act, and the Jamari Terrell-Williams Act.For the 2023 - 2024 school year, the counselor will continue to see students by homeroom weekly for a 9-weeks period based on BWF's calendar. The counselor sees most classes once per week during their "off day" from their regular Special.
- Kindergarten - 1st and 3rd 9-weeks. Big topics include whole body listening, personal safety, and recognizing and regulating feelings.
- 1st Grade - 2nd and 4th 9-weeks. Big topics include using our social filter, solving interpersonal problems with a "bugs and wishes message", and responding to teasing.
- 2nd Grade - 1st and 3rd 9-weeks. Big topics include empathy, using our social filter, sportsmanship, Child Protection Unit, and responding to teasing and bullying.
- 3rd Grade - 1st and 3rd 9-weeks. Big topics include tattling vs. reporting, problem solving, Child Protection Unit review, and bullying prevention and response.
- 4th Grade - 2nd and 4th 9-weeks. Big topics include self control, rumors and gossip, self esteem, and peer pressure.
- 5th Grade - 1st and 3rd 9-weeks. Big topics include goal setting, career exploration, and Child Protection Unit.
- 6th Grade - 2nd and 4th 9-weeks. Big topics include drug prevention, Child Protection Unit review, and preparation for Junior High.
Should you want to schedule a meeting with the counselor to discuss topics covered in classroom guidance, please contact me by phone (414-3700) or email to find a mutually convenient time.