SHORT ANSWER STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS -
The Miracle Worker
Act I Pages 1-23
1. How does Kate discover her baby is blind and deaf?
2. Tell the number of years that elapse between Helen's infancy and the paper doll scene with
Percy and Martha.
3. What does Helen do that shows she knows Percy is talking?
4. When Martha removes Helen's hands from her biting mouth, how does she react?
5. To which family member does Helen seem closest?
6. Why is Helen troubled by Aunt Ev's towel doll? How does she remedy the situation?
7. How does the family compensate for Helen's affliction?
8. When does Captain Keller agree to contact the oculist in Baltimore?
9. Helen's half-brother, James, holds what opinion of her?
10. List three pieces of information we learn from Mr. Anagnos' farewell conversation with Annie
Sullivan at the Perkins Institute.
11. Name the going away presents Annie receives from Anagnos and the blind girls at the Perkins
Act I Pages 23-47
1. What gesture does Annie use to indicate her mother ?
2. How many treats does Helen secretly receive before dinner? Given by whom?
3. How do we know Helen is aware something different is about to happen?
4. What three advantages does Annie tell Kate she has over another governess?
5. Tell Annie's response to Kate's question , "What will you try to teach her first?"
6. Does Kate like Annie at their first meeting?
7. How does Helen first respond to Annie Sullivan?
8. What word does Annie sign to Helen first? Why?
9. Why has Captain Keller become upset before dinner the day of Annie's arrival?
10. For what reason does James fetch a ladder?
11. Describe Annie's reaction to Helen spitting the hidden key out of her mouth and hiding it in the
Act II Pages 48-71
1. What does Annie feel is her greatest obstacle with Helen?
2. Why does Annie have Helen feel the different expressions on her face?
3. How does Kate respond when Annie questions her for rewarding Helen for stabbing her with
4. For what reason does Annie insist everyone leave the dining room during breakfast?
5. Explain why before exiting the dining room James says to Annie, "If it takes all summer,
6. Tell Kate's response to the Captain's demand that she tell Annie to change her tactics with
Helen or leave.
7. What happens after Annie finally gets Helen to take a spoonful of food from her plate into her
8. What does Aunt Ev remind Kate of after Annie chases them all out of the dining room?
9. Describe Annie's report to Kate after her ordeal with Helen and her response.
10. Dismayed, what does Annie reread from the Perkin's report upon going to her room?
11. Whose voices does Annie hear in her mind after reviewing the report?
Act II pages 71-91
1. What is Captain Keller's reaction to Annie's work with Helen?
2. What does Annie think is Helen's worst handicap?
3. When Kate shares her fear of sending Helen to an asylum, what do we learn about Annie's past?
4. For what does Annie request from the Kellers if she is to stay on there with them?
5. In what way does Annie respond to James' warning that she ought to just accept Helen's
6. How does the family manage to confuse Helen into thinking she has been taken to some other
place and town?
7. Where have they actually taken her?
8. Helen responds in what manner to her new surroundings?
9. Of what use is Percy to Annie the first night alone with Helen?
10. How is Annie feeling at the end of Act II?
Act III Pages 92-107
1. How does Annie think Helen can come out of her shell, like the chick?
2. What has been James' feeling about the two weeks Helen has been gone?
3. In what matter does Kate advise James?
4. What is wrong with Helen's eighteen nouns and three verbs?
5. Annie compares words to what?
6. Does Annie agree with Captain Keller's compliment that Helen's cleanliness is next to Godliness?
7. Annie wants words to take the place of what for Helen?
8. What does Annie ask of Captain and Mrs. Keller?
9. How does Annie feel upon Helen's return to the main house?
Act III Pages 107-122
1. Annie defines obedience without understanding as what?
2. What does she ask of Captain Keller when he compliments her on what she has done with Helen
in two short weeks?
3. What greeting does James extend to Annie?
4. How does Helen behave during her special 'welcome home' dinner?is the guest of honor?
5. All but whom want to allow Helen her tantrum because, after all, she
6. Which family members finally agree that the right thing is to allow Annie to take over?
7. Where does Annie take Helen when she removes her from the table? What happens there?
8. What does Helen do next?
9. How do her parents react to this turn of events?
10. What object does Helen offer to Annie?
11. What does Annie sign and whisper to Helen that shows she can now move ahead in her own life?