STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS - The Outsiders
1. Identify Darry, Soda and Ponyboy.
2. How are Greasers different from Socs?
3. Who were other members of Pony's gang?
4. What happened to Pony on his way home from the movies?
5. Who did Dally, Johnny and Ponyboy meet at the Nightly Double?
6. Contrast Dally's approach to Cherry and Marcia with Pony's, and contrast Cherry's
response to Dally with her response to Pony.
7. Why were Cherry and Marcia alone at the drive-in?
8. Pony was somewhat surprised that he was getting along with Cherry and Marcia. Why?
9. What had happened to Johnny prior to the time of this story?
1. After talking with Cherry, what reason does Pony finally give for the separation between
Greasers and Socs?
2. Who were Cherry and Marcia's boyfriends?
3. Why didn't the Socs and Greasers fight during their first encounter after the movie?
4. Why was Pony late coming home from the Nightly Double?
5. What caused Pony to "run away"?
6. What happened to Johnny and Ponyboy at the park?
7. To whom do Johnny and Pony turn for help after Johnny killed Bob? Why?
8. Why did Johnny and Pony go to Jay's Mountain?
1. Why was Pony upset about getting a haircut?
2. What was Johnny's favorite part of Gone With the Wind? Of whom did it remind him?
3. When Dally finally arrives at the church, what news does he bring?
4. What did Johnny announce after his fifth barbecue sandwich?
5. Describe Johnny's relationship with his parents.
6. What happened when Johnny, Pony and Dally returned to the church?
1. What additional problem did the three brothers face after Pony's return?
2. Why did Randy want to talk to Pony?
3. When Johnny's mother came to visit him at the hospital, what was Johnny's reaction?
4. Why wouldn't Cherry go visit Johnny?
5. Compare and contrast the boys' reasons for fighting. (Darry, Steve, Soda and Two-Bit)
6. What did Pony say was the difference between Tim's gang and his?
7. Identify Paul Holden.
8. Who "won" the rumble?
9. Where did Dally take Pony after the rumble?
10. How do we know Dally felt at least partially responsible for Johnny's fate?
11. What advice did Dally give to Pony on the way to the hospital after the rumble?
12. What were Johnny's last words to Ponyboy?
1. Of what did Pony try to convince himself on the way home from the hospital?
2. What did Pony decide was the reason Dally couldn't take Johnny's death?
3. Why did Dally rob the grocery store and then raise his unloaded gun to the police?
4. Why would Pony have thought he was in Windrixville while he was delirious?
5. What was Pony's reaction when Randy talked about Johnny?
6. What was the result of the court hearing?
7. How did Pony react to the three Socs who bullied him about killing Bob?
8. Johnny's note made several points. What were they?
9. How do we know Ponyboy will be all right?