Counseling and Guidance Department ProgramsStudent Support Team
The Student Support Team (SST) is an interdisciplinary team made up of counselors, administrator, special education teachers, academic support teacher, and regular classroom teacher that problem solve and intervene with students experiencing significant academic and/or emotional problems.Classroom Guidance
This facet of the guidance program focuses on presentations on a variety of adolescent issues such as conflict resolutions, decision making, goal setting, and substance abuse information. These take place in the classroom with the primary goal being to raise the awareness level of the students and to encourage students to seek additional assistance in areas where they feel they have a need.
Students may participate in small group discussion led by a counselor. Topics focus on a variety of adolescent issues such as coping skills, peer pressure, and problem solving skills. These are held during lunch or AO and are voluntary.
Counselors are available to meet with students on an individual basis for more assistance.
What is counseling?
• Meeting with a trained professional, either as an individual or in a group, to discuss areas of concern you may be having in your life.
• Dealing with personal, social, vocational, and educational concerns
• A process in which you learn how to make decisions and plan healthy ways of behaving, feeling, and thinking.
Your conversations with a counselor will be held in confidence with following exceptions:
Why see a counselor?You might benefit from seeing a counselor if you are dealing with any of the following:
- Threat of harm to oneself
- Threat of harm to another
- Any report of abuse or neglect or suspected abuse or neglect
- Reports of behavior which could reasonably lead to harm to self or others
- Court orders requiring disclosure
• Planning for the future
• Problem solving
• Any concern in your life
• Problems with friends
• Problems at school
• Problems at home
• Substance Abuse
• Sad feelings
• Concerns for a friend or family member
• Concerns about eating disorders
• Assessing your strengths and weakness
What can I expect from the counselors?
Through counseling, you can expect to:
• Receive support and encouragement
• Learn ways to make healthy choices
• Receive information about the issues that are important to you
• Better understand yourself