Degrees and Certifications:
Dr. Dicky Barlow
Richard “Dicky” Barlow was appointed superintendent of Mountain Brook Schools in 2009. Dr. Barlow received his B.S. and Certification in Science Education and Masters of Education in Administration and Supervision at Georgia State University. He earned his Ed.S. in Educational Administration at the University of Montevallo and his doctorate at Samford University.
Prior to his appointment as superintendent, he served as principal of Mountain Brook High School from 2001 to 2009 and Assistant Principal from 1996 to 2001. Before joining Mountain Brook Schools, Dr. Barlow served in a number of positions as an educator in Georgia, including Assistant Principal and Student Intervention Specialist. He taught science and coached basketball and cross country.
District highlights and student achievement during Barlow's tenure:
- 2023 Alabama Superintendent of the Year
- Consistently ranked in the top 1% of open enrollment high schools nationally
- Number 2 ranked public high school athletic program in the nation (Maxpreps)
- Number 71 STEM High School in U.S. in 2021-22 (U.S. News and World Report)
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Distinguished School District 2016
- Over 96% of graduating students attend the college of their choice annually
- Over 28 Advanced Placement subjects offered annually, 83% of students scored 3 or higher
- Six nationally recognized Blue Ribbon Schools (all Mountain Brook Schools)
- Multiple dual-enrollment programs with state colleges and universities