MBS Self-Help for Instructional TechnologiesClick to get emails when new items are added.
Instructional Tech Blog
New for 2016-2017Posted by Donna Williamson at 7/8/2016
Wow! 2016-2017 is framing up to be an awesome year. Many of the tools teachers have requested will be in place when school starts.
- ClassLink is the new MBS Portal but with many more features than Stoneware. As long as you are logged in to Chrome, staff, students, and parents will have access to online resources with the ability to store passwords for easy access. Staff will have access to onsite local storage and will have the ability to scan all storage for files including home directory, shared drive, Google drive, and Microsoft One Drive.
- Hapara was piloted last year but will be in full operation for 16-17. For those staff that use Google Classroom, Hapara will assist teachers to easily send out links to students and monitor class activity. In addition, teachers can easily access student Google files from one screen.
- Parent Link App is the Mountain Brook Schools' new app for mobile devices. ClassLink, Canvas, PayPams, the MBS website including photos, events, and calendar events are easily accessible through our new mobile app.
- Canvas is our new LMS (Learning Management System). After a year of intense study by teachers, administrators, parents, and students, the committee selected Canvas! How is Canvas different from Moodle? For one thing, classes are automatically created based on schedules in Chalkable. Students can also be automatically uploaded from Chalkable. There are many new features requested by staff as well. Canvas allows for parent access to view their students courses. One of the main requests by students and parents was that every teacher in grades 5-12 use Canvas and take advantage of the aggregated calendar for assignments. I can't wait to see our teachers using Canvas.
- MBS-U is a part of Canvas that is dedicated to professional development. Our teachers lead busy lives and learn in different ways at different times. The goal is to host many of the mandatory trainings for staff in canvas as well as courses that will be optional but beneficial.
- EduVision, Mountain Brook Schools online video resource, will be expanded during 2016-2017. Staff can now upload video straight from their cell phones!
EduvisionPosted by Donna Williamson at 10/14/2015
MBS TV Online is made possible by a product called EduVision. EduVision allows us to record broadcasts, broadcast live, or upload video for flipped learning and PD. We recently purchased Wirecast for each school to complement the product. We are excited about the possibilities. Local School technology coordinators have begun training staff. MBS staff that are interested should contact their local tech coordinator.
SchoolWires App Update due out April 2015Posted by Donna Williamson at 4/6/2015SchoolWires is updating the MBS Mobile Communications App between April 1 and April 17. Users of both the iPhone and Android phones will be notified by iTunes or Google Play when the update is available.
Mid-April 2015 Java Patch to Play Havoc with MathiaPosted by Donna Williamson at 4/6/2015
In mid-April, Chrome is changing the way it works with Java.
As a result, students may have difficulty accessing Cognitive Tutor® Prime and MATHia® from the Chrome browser. Other browsers will continue to work normally.
To help minimize the impact of this Google Chrome update, we recommend launching Carnegie Learning software in a different browser. Please click here to view additional information and recommendations on our web site.
Microsoft Web MailPosted by Donna Williamson at 2/16/2015MBS Updated web mail earlier this month (Feb. 2015). You can access from the accordion menu on the district web page or from any school main web page under For Staff.