Elementary Band Home Page
Mountain Brook Schools
Beginning Band 2021-2022
Beginning Band E-Day Assignment
Parents and Students,
I hope you have had a wonderful summer! My name is Michelle Smith and I am the beginning band director. School is just around the corner which means that we are only a few weeks away from starting Beginning Band! I know many of you have questions surrounding how 6th grade band will work, instrument testing, etc. Below you will find a list of commonly asked questions and answers:
- When is instrument testing? We will have a full instrument testing event this year where your student will get to play every instrument with our professional instructional staff. This testing will be on Saturday, August 28th in Spartan Arena at Mountain Brook High School. At the end of the first week of school you will receive a sign-up link to choose the time slot you would like for testing. All instrument testing will happen between 9:00am-12:00pm.
- How do we get an instrument? During instrument testing you will have a chance to visit with both of our local music shops. They will be available for you to ask questions and purchase/rent instruments onsite!
- When will Beginning Band start? Your student will go through a normal specials rotation during the first two weeks of school. During this time, the entire 6th grade at each school will try-out 6th grade band with their homeroom classes. This allows students who missed our recruiting or were on the fence at the beginning of the summer the ability to join us. We always have a large crowd jump on board during those first two weeks which is awesome! The end of those two weeks brings us to our August 28th instrument testing. That next Monday will begin our full time Beginning Band class which will meet everyday during specials or before school for our MBE band.
- Do I need to do anything between now and then? Relax and enjoy these last few weeks before everything starts! Once we get into the swing of things, it’s going to be a wild ride and a lot of fun. I will send out emails every week guiding you on upcoming events and any important information.
- Dates to add to your calendar:
- Saturday, August 28th: Instrument testing @ Spartan Arena, Mountain Brook High School.
- Saturday, September 4th: Beginning Band Camp at the MBJH Band Room
- What is Beginning Band Camp? This will be a voluntary camp where students are able to come to the Junior High with their brand new instrument and have their first lesson with our private instructors. This is the best chance to learn how to properly assemble and take care of their new instruments! Students will also meet our fantastic staff and the other students also playing their same instrument. This camp will only be 2-3 hours at the most. If your student has a prior commitment, no problem. I will still teach each student these basics in class.
I am so excited to meet and work with all of our students! I have been counting down the days until I get to hear that first crazy sound on each instrument. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email me. I will be checking email every day and will respond as quickly as possible.