NHS Selection Process
1. Membership in this chapter shall be known as active and graduate. Active members become graduate members at graduation. The graduate members have no vote.
2. Membership in this chapter is an honor bestowed upon deserving students by the faculty and shall be based on the criteria of Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character.
3. To be eligible for selection to membership in this chapter, the candidate must have been in attendance for a period of one semester at MBHS.
4. Candidates eligible for selection to this chapter must be members of the junior or senior class. Candidates eligible for selection to the chapter shall have a minimum cumulative (grades 10-12), weighted academic average of 90 (out of 100). This scholastic level of achievement shall remain fixed, and shall be the required minimum scholastic level of achievement for admission to candidacy. All students who can rise in scholarship to or above such standard may be admitted to candidacy for selection to membership. Their eligibility shall then be considered based on their service, leadership, and character.
5. The final selection of members to this chapter shall be by a majority vote of the Faculty Council consisting of five faculty members appointed by the principal. The chapter adviser shall be the sixth, non-voting, ex-officio member of the Faculty Council.
6. Prior to the final selection, the following shall occur:
a. Students’ academic records shall be reviewed to determine scholastic eligibility.
b. Students who are eligible scholastically shall be notified and asked to complete the NHS candidate form for further consideration for selection.
c. The faculty shall be requested to comment on candidates determined to be scholastically eligible.
d. The NHS candidate form and faculty comments shall be reviewed by the Faculty Council.
7. The selection of active members shall be held once a year during the second semester of the school year.
8. An active member of the National Honor Society who transfers from this school will be given a letter indicating the status of his/her membership and signed by the Principal.
9. An active member of the National Honor Society who transfers to this school will be automatically accepted for membership in this chapter. This transfer member will be required to maintain the membership requirements that were in place when he/she was tapped.