English Language Learners
The purpose of the ESL program is to enable students who have limited skills in the English language to become competent in the listening, speaking, reading and writing of English. The goals of the program are as follows:
· To increase the English language proficiency to the degree necessary to allow independent functioning in the regular school program.· To provide the ELL student the opportunity to reach his or her full potential.
All parents of newly enrolled students and new kindergarten students are given the Home Language Survey at registration in the school. This survey identifies any languages other than English that are
· First learned or acquired by the student
· Spoken most often by the student
· Spoken most often in the home of the student
The Home Language Survey is used as an identification tool for potential ELL students and is a part of the enrollment process. The following is the step by step procedure of the identification of possible ELL students:· During the enrollment process the parent completes the Home Language Survey.
· All students who indicate a language other than English on the Home Language Survey are referred to the school ESL Coordinator.
· Completed surveys are filed in each student’s cumulative folder.
· Identified students begin testing and placement procedures within 10 school days.
If you have questions about our ESL Program please contact your school's assistant principal or the ESL System Coordinator, Lanie Kent.