Degrees and Certifications:
Gary Weatherly is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro where he earned a BA degree in Drama with emphasis in Design and Technology and was awarded the Raymond Taylor Scholarship Award. Mr. Weatherly has finished his course work for a Master’s of Science in Theatre Education from Southern Oregon University and is in the process of finishing his thesis for the degree.
Mr. Weatherly is serving MBHS as a Teacher, Designer, Technical Director, and Manager of Mountain Brook High School’s Fine Arts Center. He is the Head of the Fine Arts Department and sponsor of the Stage Crew Club and co-sponsor of the Thespian Society. He serves as the Fine Arts technology representative.
Before discovering the challenges of teaching in secondary school, Mr. Weatherly designed professionally over 400 productions in almost every state in the southeast for over 25 years. He has worked as the resident designer for Birmingham Children’s Theatre, The State of Alabama Ballet and the Miss Alabama Pageant and worked for most of the Birmingham community and university theatres as a guest designer. Mr. Weatherly holds memberships in the following professional organizations:
- Southeast Theatre Conference (SETC) - serving as Chairman of the Polly Holliday Scholarship Committee
- Alabama Conference of Theatre (ACT) - serving as Professional Division Chair and ACT Board of Directors
- Alabama Thespian Society, International Thespian Society
- United States Institute of Theatre Technology (USITT)
- American Alliance of Theatre and Education (AATE)
- Technology Institute for Music Educators (TI:ME)
- Alabama Education Association (AEA)
- National Education Association (NEA)