Frequent Questions

  • Do you have any Job Openings?
    All positions are posted online at Mountain Brook Schools and on Teach in Alabama. You need to file an online Mountain Brook Application in order to apply for a job and inform us if you have an application on Teach in Alabama. It is acceptable to apply for a position with Mountain Brook Schools even if there are no current openings for the positions in which you apply.
    Can you  call me when there is an opening for a specific job?
    Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to call all applicants. All current job listings are posted. You will need to check those periodically to see if there are any jobs in which you are interested. You are welcome to contact our office and we will be happy to send your information to the schools. Please make sure you have an application and resume on file with the central office, even though you may take a resume to the schools.
    Can I apply for more than one job?
    Yes. You must complete an application for more than one position, if you qualify for those positions. You must have a completed application on file and we can duplicate that position for each area. The principals review the applications for all positions and contact the candidates they wish to interview. If you are a certified teacher and are also interested in an aide position, you will need to fill out the certified and support application.
    What do I need to submit for my application to be complete? 
    For Certified Employees: If you are applying for a teaching or other certified position, you will need the following items in your application file:
    • Mountain Brook Application 
    • Resume
    • Three Letters of Reference
    • Official College Transcript (s)
    • Teaching Certificate 
    For Classified Employees:   Classified applicants are required to submit the following:  
    • Support Application
    • Resume
    • Three Letters of Reference
    • College Transcript or High School Diploma.  If you are applying to become and Aide, you must submit either transcripts showing that you have successfully completed 48 hours of course work at an accredited college, Work Keys credentials or proof that you have obtained an Associates Degree.  
    Can I teach without a certificate?
    No. You must be eligible for an Alabama Teaching Certificate or an Alternative Certificate to teach in Mountain Brook Schools. 
    How long will you keep my application active?
    All files are kept for a minimum of three years.  We will keep applications active in accordance with the Alabama State Department of Education Guidelines.
    What kind of references do I need?
    If you are applying for a teaching position, you need three professional letters of reference from your most recent employer or other people, such as professors, who know your qualifications. If you are applying for a support position, you will need three business work references of people who are not related to you.
    I was fingerprinted in another state or another method besides Cogent. Can you just use those results?
    No. The law requires that a complete background check be done through the State of Alabama Cogent System for all applicants. The Alabama Child Protection Act of 1999 requires that you sign a form allowing us to check your criminal history with the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). You will be notified of the correct procedure to follow.
    Can I contact the school principal to interview for a position? 
    All communication for employment should come through the personnel office. You are invited to take or send resumes to the schools, but principals will make direct contact with applicants if they are interested in asking a candidate to visit the school for an interview.
    I want to become a substitute teacher. What do I need to do?
    All of our substitute teachers go through Kelly Services now.  Call them at 870-7154 and they will let you know what you need to do to substitute in Mountain Brook.