Cherokee Bend Elementary
Cherokee Bend Elementary School is currently accepting applications for a Special Ed Aide
TITLE: Special Education Instructional Aide
REPORTS TO: Principal and Assigned Teacher(s)
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: 2 years of college or college diploma. General concepts of child growth &
development & child behavior characteristics. Techniques used in controlling & motivating students.
English usage, punctuation, spelling & grammar. Routine record keeping. General purposes & goals of public
education. Specific subject area content as required in job assignment.
JOB GOAL: To increase the effectiveness of the teacher and assist with individual
students or small groups to help them achieve the skill levels of the class
as a whole.
- Assists instructional personnel with the development and presentation of learning materials and instructional exercises.
- Tutors students individually or in small groups to reinforce and follow-up learning activity.
- Oversees and supervises students during classroom activities, in the library, bathroom, PE, lunch and on field trips. Assists teacher with emergency drills.
- Assists in the development of a variety of instructional materials.
- Operates and cares for equipment used in classroom instruction and informs teacher if equipment is not working properly.
- Assists teacher in collecting & distributing books and materials for the classroom. Works with bulletin boards and other classroom displays.
- Performs a variety of regular clerical duties, such as filing, typing or duplicating materials.
- Maintains discipline in the absence of the teacher. Assists any substitute teacher in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Alerts the teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior & confidentiality of information about students as is expected of fully licensed teachers.
- Follows a daily schedule as assigned by the teacher(s) and approved by the principal.
- Performs other related tasks as needed.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine month year, 184 days.